|Medical Coding (Day1)|
|Module 1- Introduction and Orientation
Module 2- Documenting Medical Records
- Industry History
- Coding Sets: ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS, etc
- Daily activities in medical facilities
- The responsibilities of various healthcare professionals
- How medical coders interact with these professionals
- Career opportunities available to medical coding specialists
- Liability & Legal Issues
Module 3- Medical Terminology
- The role of medical records in a coding specialist's job.
- Various types of dictation formats.
- How healthcare professionals manage medical records.
Module 4- Introduction to Anatomy
- Word Parts
- Dividing & Combining Terms
- Abbreviations, Symbols, and Special Terms
- Medical Instruments & Equipment
- Medical Specialties & Specialists
- Diagnostic Medicine
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Drug References & Instruments
Module 5- Diagnostic Coding (ICD-9, ICD-10)
- Overview of human anatomy
- Basic components of human biology and the associated terminology
- How the human body is put together and how it works
- Basic body cavities and how the body is organized physiologically
- Cell and Tissue Anatomy and Pathology
- Actual coding process
- History of the International Classification of Diseases and the development of the ICD-9/10-CM coding system
- ICD-9/10-CM Coding Manual Introduction
- Structure of the coding manual
- Purposes of the various volumes within the manual
- Handling abbreviations, cross references, and punctuation when coding, and they gain an introduction to Volumes I and II of the ICD-9-CM.
- ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Coding: Guidelines and Rules
- Guidelines and rules of the diagnosis coding process
- How coders interact with the super bill and claim forms and how the forms relate to the ICD-9-CM.
- Basic coding exercises also allow students to practice what they've learned so far.
|Medical Coding (Day2)
|Module 6- CPT Coding
- CPT Coding from the Integumentary System to the Urinary System
- CPT Coding from the Reproductive Systems to the Operating Microscope
- CPT Coding for Radiology, Pathology, Medicine and Anesthesia
- Comprehensive Surgery Coding
- Integrating ICD-9-CM and CPT Coding Practicum
- CPT Coding Evaluation and Management Services
- Comprehensive CPT Evaluation and Management
|Medical Coding (Day3)
|Module 7- Pharmacological Compendium
Module 8- HCPCS Coding
Module 9- CDT Coding
Module 10- NDC Coding
Module 11- Medical Ethics
Module 12- Health Insurance Specialists
- Concepts of ethics, compliance, fraud and abuse and how these concepts apply to medial coding specialists.
- Importance of confidentiality when dealing with medical records.
- Insurance audits and the legal concepts involved.
Module 13- Coding Practice
- How health insurance works.
- Types of insurance
- Common medical insurance terms
- How insurance companies are billed
- Basics of electronic billing
- Application of diagnostic and procedure codes to insurance
- Medical Care Reimbursement
- Health Organization Plans
- Insurance Claim Form Analysis
- Payer Processing
- Laws, Rules and Regulations
- Private Insurance
- Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare
- Worker's Compensation
Module 14- Coding Resource
- Outpatient and inpatient coding exercises
- Specialty coding and chart abstraction to build coding expertise (from simple to very complicated)