Dr. Daniel (Dan) E. Furlong
PMP, PMI-ACP, MBA, FHIMSS
Doctorate Healthcare Administration (DHA)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (MS)
He has taught graduate level courses in project management and healthcare information technology since 2009. He holds adjunct faculty appointments at three universities and guest lectures regularly at schools such as Yale. Dan is also an active speaker at international conferences having led multiple workshops and/or lectures at the PMI Global Conference, HIMSS Annual Conference, HIMSS pre-symposia, as well as various regional and national events such as the International Program Office Summit, PMO Expo, GMIS International Conference, and Southern Caribbean PMI International Conference.
He has nearly 35 years of IT experience and nearly 30 years overseeing projects.
In 2013 Dan co-authored, with Dr. Kathy Schwalbe, the groundbreaking textbook Healthcare Project Management, which is used in undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate programs and was just released in its 2ndEdition in 2017. He also authored and published PMP Last Chance Review, a PMP study aid. He has also appeared in the monthly PMI magazine PM Network (circulation greater than 600,000 worldwide) four times as a subject matter expert or as the topic of an article.
Dan has worked with Boeing, Booz Allen Hamilton, VT Milcom, and other private companies but has spent much of his efforts working with state and federal US agencies such as NOAA, US Marine Corps, US Dept of State, and US Veterans Administration and their contractors.
Dan is actively involved in his local Project Management Institute chapter where he has served on the board since 2005 and is currently serving as Past President. He also served on the PMI Healthcare Community of Practice leadership group and is now a contributor to the ProjectManagement.com healthcare practice area. He is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences on the topic of Project Management and Healthcare Project Management. Dr. Furlong was chosen as the Healthcare Project Management expert by ProjectManagement.com and PMI to represent them at the 2015, 2016, and 2017 PMI Global Conferences and was one of only two subject matter experts who were asked to serve for three years (the maximum allowed).
- HIMSS Fellow (FHIMSS) : www.himss.org
- ITIL Foundations (ITIL)
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) : www.pmi.org
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) : www.pmi.org
- SC Senior Certified Project Manager (SCSCPM) : State of SC Division of the CIO
- SC Associate Certified Project Manager (SCACPM) : State of SC Division of the CIO
- Certified Professional Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS) [2008-2014] : www.himss.org
- ISO 9001 Certified Internal Auditor : (expired)
- ISO 14000 Certified Internal Environmental Auditor : (expired)
- CSM (Certified Scrum Master): Net Objectives, Inc.
Presentation & Workshops
- Furlong, D. “CIOs – How to Manage Project Prioritization”. 2018 CIO Visions Summit. [June 2018] (contracted date).
- Furlong, D. “Effective Tools for Leading Groups to Decisions”. 2018 PMI Charleston Seminar at Sea Conference.January 2018.
- Furlong, D., “Tools to Ease Complex Decisions”. 2017 HIMSS International Conference. February, 2017.
- Furlong, D.; Schwalbe, K., “Healthcare Project Management”. American Medical Student Association (AMSA). Webinar recorded January 4, 2017 to be included in their 2017 leadership series of lectures for medical students.
- Furlong, D., “A Simple Model for Dealing with Everything is Top Priority”. 2016 SC.GMIS & PMI Charleston Annual Leadership Summit. March 30, 2016.
- Furlong, D., “PMP Exam Changes”. 2015 SC.GMIS & PMI Charleston Annual Project Management Workshop. July 16, 2015.
- Furlong, D. “Practical Healthcare Project Management”. 2015 HIMSS Annual Conference Pre-symposium, 8 hour workshop. April 12, 2015
- Furlong, D. “Healthcare PMOs Are Scum!”. PMI Healthcare Community of Practice, Annual Meeting (at HIMSS). February 2014.
- Furlong, D. “Aligning Epic EHR Implementations with the PMI PMBOK”. Epic Project Managers Advisory Council. April 2013.
- Furlong, D. “Developing an Effective Work Breakdown Structure” (4 hours), PMI Charleston Seminar at Sea. April 2012.
- Furlong, D. “Managing Project Risk”, SCGMIS Annual Project Management Workshop. July 2011.
- Furlong, D. “Teach It! Don’t Assume It!” (8 hour workshop). HIMSS 2010 International Conference, Pre-conference symposium, February 28, 2010.
- Furlong, D. and Schwalbe, K. (2017). Healthcare Project Management 2nd Edition. Schwalbe Press. 2017. ISBN-10: 9781976573279 (textbook)
- Furlong, D. (2016). “Improving the Accuracy of Publicly Reported PSI Rates Through Enhanced Internal Documentation Review”. April 12, 2016.
- Furlong, D. (2015). “Risk Identification – Speed Dating Style.” ProjectManagement.com. June 26, 2015.
- Furlong, D. (2015). “Methods to Stop the Meeting Madness (Part 3): Why You Need Process Agendas.” ProjectManagement.com. April 3, 2015.
- Furlong, D. (2015). “Methods to Stop the Meeting Madness (Part 2): What’s Your Agenda?” ProjectManagement.com. March 27, 2015.
- Furlong, D. (2015). “Methods to Stop the Meeting Madness?” ProjectManagement.com. March 20, 2015.
- Furlong, D. (2015). “PMOs: You Must Have Presence!” ProjectManagement.com. March 20, 2015.
- Furlong, D. (2013). PMP Last Chance Review. PM One, LLC. 2013. ISBN: 978-0991058501 (study guide)
- Furlong, D. and Schwalbe, K. (2013). Healthcare Project Management. Schwalbe Press. 2013. ISBN-10: 0982800355 (textbook)
- Furlong, D. (2011). Served as a HIMSS reviewer for The Project Manager’s Guide to Health Information Technology Implementation by Susan M. Houston. (book)
- Furlong, D. (April 2008). Congratulations! It’s a Project! HIMSS International Conference. (whitepaper)
- Furlong, D. (September 2006). Project Prenatal Care. PMI Atlanta, Professional Development Day. (whitepaper)
Honors, Achievements and Awards
- Chosen to serve as a “PM Subject Matter Expert (SME)” for ProjectManagement.com at the 2017 PMI Global Congress on subjects of Healthcare Project Management, PMOs, and Healthcare Portfolio Management.
- 2016 PMI Charleston & SC.GMIS Annual Leadership Summit, Highest Rated Speaker
- Chosen to serve as a “PM Subject Matter Expert (SME)” for ProjectManagement.com at the 2015 PMI Global Congress on subjects of Healthcare Project Management, PMOs, and Healthcare Portfolio Management. Highest attended and highest scoring SME at conference.
- HIMSS International Conference, 2013. Sold out workshop (2nd in their history)
- SC HIMSS Annual Conference, 2011, Highest Rated Speaker
- HIMSS International Conference, 2009. Sold out workshop (1st in their history)
- Kerzner International Project Manager of the Year, Semi-Finalist (top 10), 2008
- GMIS International “IT Professional of the Year”, 2007
- PMI Charleston, “Person of the Year”, 2007
- SC.GMIS, Ambassador Award, 2004
- SC.GMIS, Elite Achievers Award, 2004
- Atlanta PMI, Professional Development Day, Highest Rated Speaker, 2006
- SC.GMIS, President’s Award, 2006
- SCITDA, Annual Conference Perfect Speaker Evaluation, 2006
- SC.GMIS, Champion Award, 2006